Saturday, June 25, 2011

Swords of the Six by Scott Appleton

Swords of the Six by Scott Appleton is a very captivating, descriptive, and exciting story of betrayal and salvation.  It is full of spiritual allegory. 

The story begins with a spectacular prologue of a fight between good and evil that ends in a tragic betrayal.  I really loved the prologue and it drew me into the story.  Part one tells the story of six daughters of the good white dragon, Albino.  They have been created to avenge the innocent blood that was shed.  The sisters all have different personalities and some of the dialogue between them is hilarious!  They trust their father, Albino, and willingly accept their destiny.  Part two at first seems to deviate from the story that had been established, but it reality it adds a greater depth to the story.  A prophesy is fulfilled.  There is love and loss.  And the daughters of the Dragon are joined by Ilfedo.  This book laid a fantastic foundation for the second book, Offspring, which will be released in July 2011. I'm looking forward to the second book!

I highly recommend this book for young adults.  Mr. Appleton has done an excellent job of providing very descriptive battle scenes.  One thing I really like about this books is that it is written with a higher level of vocabulary than most young adult books today.  It provides an engaging story while challenging the reader.  I greatly appreciated that this story has such spiritual overtones.  I recommend this book to readers who love a good fantasy!

1 comment:

  1. It was a real pleasure to read your review of my novel. I can't wait to share "Offspring" with you! BTW I hope you share my novel with your students. (-:

    ReplyDelete