Sunday, May 1, 2011

Airman by Eoin Colfer

Airman by Eoin Colfer is one of my most favorite books.  Eoin is pronounced Owen.  It is basically a modern re-telling of The Count of Monte Cristo.  One of the things that I like very best about this book is that it is a great companion to a science unit on flight...which is how I use it in my classroom. 

Conor Broekhart is living a carefree life on the Saltee Islands.  He is destined to fly in an era before airplanes.  Through circumstances beyond his control, he is falsely accused of murder and sent to prison...at age 14.  Re-named Conor Finn, he makes the most of his time in prison and plans his escape.  Will he make it?  Will he get his revenge?

This book is a fabulous book for sixth grade on up.  There are a few places where profanity is used, but it is not excessive.  Overall, it is an excellent story!  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment